Monday, December 27, 2010

2011 and its resolutions...

I find myself truly inspired by Gertie over at her blog with the Sew Alongs and it gave me the idea to do something locally. It got me thinking about the good old fashioned sewing circles and how people used to come together to learn from one another.

So I have decided to do my own Sew Along. I want to help people learn to sew for themselves... the whole "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him to fish you feed him for a lifetime." idea. I figured I would start small with very simple projects and I can use the community room at my building for meeting space.

So here's your formal invitation:
Monday evenings in January 7-9pm
$8 per evening or $30 for the whole month
Community Room at Olympik Village apartments
402 31st Street NE
Rochester, MN 55906
Parking in the front lot or the back lot
You'll have to walk around to the front to be buzzed in, I'm 436.
RSVP via email, there is limited space around the table.
kristen.diane.butler@gmail.com

For this first project, we will be sewing little dresses and simple drawstring pants for little kids in Africa. littledressesforafrica.org for more info, and here is a pattern from Nancy's Notions that we will be using.

Following projects will be our own, for our own clothing but I figured this would be a good first project, suitable for beginners to join in and get some practice in. For this project, bring your sewing machine, any bias tape you are looking to get rid of and we will sew some little dresses! Mature kids older than 10 are welcome to come work the projects too.

No comments:

Post a Comment