Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sewing detour while waiting for supplies and patterns to arrive...

So I'm going to the renfest this weekend with a friend of mine and I totally talked him into wearing a costume. I didn't want the costume to be too flambouyant, so I'm only doing a shirt out of this pattern (something I already had in my collection). It will be shirt view B and then we are going to add a wraparound belt over the shirt for a peasanty look.

Then for my costume, I have an honest to goodness corset made by Dajleet of The Measuring Tape on etsy (and if she ever goes back to making corsets again I would buy another. Very well made and I'm a bit of a perfectionist) This is the basic design, though the bottom of mine is shaped differently. The scrollwork is hand embroidered and gorgeous.
So I needed a chemise to wear under my corset and thought I might get away with that as the skirt portion of my dress, however, I have a wrap around skirt that I LOVE that I will be wearing with it. So here's the Chemise (which I've already made)

My criticisms with this pattern (and my roommate's too, as she's made this twice...) is that the front armhole on the dress doesn't match up with the sleeve, so you end up with and inch or so on the front of the dress that you have to cut down to match the sleeve. I didn't read the instructions at all (although my roommate did) but there were no other pattern pieces to suggest the construction to be any different than sewing it together.
I've learned that Costumes are a GREAT way to hone sewing skills when you aren't concerned about wrecking this amazing fabric that's picked out for a specific purpose. For example, with the construction of this chemise dress, I practiced french seams (I was cheap and used muslin) because I knew it would be an easy fabric to sew.

Enough typing for now, I must get to that shirt, view B and basic pajama pants for peasant bottoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment